Any wholesale / B2B sources for printable black CDRs?

Discuss everything CD in here.

Moderator: Tech_Team

Any wholesale / B2B sources for printable black CDRs?

Postby Christopher » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:52 am

One of my clients who is in the music industry enquired about obtaining wholesale levels of the old-school black burn surface CDRs (with a printable surface, similar to the offerings from Ritek and MPO). I can find B2C and general retail items, but scant information on any wholesalers of these kinds of discs. Does anybody know the best company to acquire them from?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Christopher

Black Vinyl CDR

Postby The Skunk » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:03 pm

Chris.

what kind of volume do you require? thanks. CD-writer team.
The Skunk

Postby Christopher » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:38 pm

We're after two lots of quantities - to begin with, lower amounts (hundreds, 1000 at the most) which would be vinyl effect but with no custom printing. At the same time there's also a plan to obtain or manufacture a larger quantity - upwards of 100,000pcs depending on the cost per thousand. On these discs, the logo and a few other pieces of information would be silkscreened onto the inner printable area using the services of a regional pressing plant (but again, this depends on the prices we can obtain and whether a supplier can also do the print for us).

Crucially, the discs have to have the vinyl-disc printed on top, with the vinyl look printed using a black underlay and lacquer (for the grooves themselves) and the white central area for text / logos, and also be black on the burn surface. We're really going for the retro disc feel :)

Also, as the CDRs are going to be used for audio, they need to have a fairly decent composition - I understand Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim etc are usually the quality benchmarks (I buy Verbatim myself) but there's far fewer actual dye types (although each has their own revisions and variations by factory).

I tried to read the dye info from a Verbatim CDR but had no joy, so I'm still wondering where their discs are actually manufactured (if they don't actually make them in-house) and what dyes they're using. The client wants their product to be a proper premium grade item - is there a definitive 'top 10' list, as such, so we can make sure we don't fall into the trap of good looking - but awful quality - discs?
Christopher

Return to CD Recordable forum